At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation logo
Climate, Kayak, and Conversation

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

wfreund
    42 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause Climate, Kayak, and Conversation. Its EIN is 56-1715308 and it's a public charity based in Etowah, NC. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation logo
    We tell the stories of those impacted by climate change through sail-kayaking the Intracoastal Waterway.

I am nominating a fiscally sponsored project of the Environmental Educators of North Carolina, Climate, Kayak, and Conversation. My name is Will Freund and I am the project lead and I live here on the Outer Banks in Kill Devil Hills. Climate, Kayak, and Conversation is a climate awareness documentary project to record and share stories from coastal communities on how the southeastern coast has changed over time through kayak-sailing the Intracoastal Waterway from Maimi, Florida to Norfolk, Virginia.  

Interviewing Captain John

Those that have visited or called the Outer Banks home for any amount of time can tell you that living in a coastal community has its pros and its cons. We live in an absolutely beautiful part of the world and are blessed with a really invested and integrated community. However we are also on the front lines of some of the worst nature can throw at us, hurricanes, flooding, and erosion to name a few. Much of this is exacerbated by the effect of climate change and often having that discussion is emotional no matter where you stand on the issue. One of the only ways we can make progress to protect and conserve our communities is by starting the conversation of what is happening and what we can do about it. Ignoring the issue does not make it go away.   

Posing with Time & Tide

In March of this year, I set out in Miami, Florida to kayak-sail 1,000 miles up the Intracoastal Waterway to Norfolk, Virginia. After two weeks on the water covering 200 miles and recording 4 interviews, I had to put the project on pause due to the coronavirus pandemic. Once the weather clears in the spring the pandemic is on the mend, I fully plan to get back out on the water and finish what I started. Please consider supporting this project to help preserve our communities and adapt for the future.

Learn More: https://www.climatekayakandconversation.org/ 

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about Climate, Kayak, and Conversation!
  • Commenter
    Comments

wfreund

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation is more than just about traveling the ICW in this crazy contraption of a boat, it’s about exploring, communicating, and engaging with communities. Climate change is one of the most pressing issues of our time and we all need to get on board. CKC aims to break down barriers in the conversation around climate change through storytelling and thoughtful communication.

wfreund

I would like to share a recent video that I produced for Climate, Kayak, and Conversation that discusses the progress made in 2020 and looking forward to 2021. Please consider voting for Climate, Kayak,  and Conversation to help start a podcast project within CKC on the impacts to OBX industries from climate change.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  wfreund.

wfreund

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation has started a local podcast called Current Climate where I discuss with local leaders on the impacts of a changing climate on different industries. Please consider voting to continue this programming.

wfreund

Here is episode two of the Current Climate Podcast!

wfreund

The fourth episode of the Current Climate is live! Please give it a listen and consider voting and supporting Climate, Kayak, and Conversation.

wfreund

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation will be relaunching on the water in 2 days! Vote to support this project and its mission to advance the conversation on climate change.

wfreund

If you’re more into reading than listening or watching, the first blog post of the project since getting back on the water is up on the project website.

https://www.climatekayakandconversation.org/blog/First_Week_Back

wfreund

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation has officially crossed a major milestone of over 250 miles traveled! That is roughly 25% of the voyage. Still, so many miles to go and so many stories to share. Please make sure to vote for CKC this month to help this project continue on its mission. The project boat, "Time & Tide" tied up in St. Augustine

wfreund

Curious what Climate, Kayak, and Conversation has been up to? Here is a video from the first few days on the water!

wfreund

Climate, Kayak, and Conversation has officially made it to North Carolina! Currently docked at Bald Head Island, CKC is only a few weeks away from arriving on the Outer Banks and a month away from finishing! Thank you to all who have voted and please help CKC reach the top to keep this project moving forward.

wfreund

Hello charitocracy family!  Climate, Kayak, and Conversation is just 2 weeks away from completing its 1,000-mile voyage from Miami, Florida to Norfolk, Virginia. Please help us get there by casting your vote in these final 2 days. This money would be instrumental to the project and its mission of collecting stories from coastal communities on how their perceive climate change.